The computer screen dims after resume from hibernation in Windows 7
This problem is related to Hibernation on Windows 7 PC and Laptops.
Customers running the Windows 7 client have reported issues in which they are unable to resume activity after their computer goes into hibernation.
According to Microsoft in some cases, the computer screen will dim after the users log on to resume from hibernation.
This issue is related specifically to Windows 7 and may be on Windows Server 2008 R2. Source: KB982635.
Condition of the issue:
- You have a computer that is running Windows 7.
- You configure the power button to be used for hibernation on the computer.
- You change the setting of the Password protection on wake up setting to the Require a password (recommended) option.
- The computer is put into hibernation.
- You press the power button to resume the computer from hibernation. You are prompted to enter your user account credentials.
- The computer is put into hibernation again while you try to log on to the computer.
- For example, the computer is put into hibernation because of low power or because the power button is pressed by mistake.
- You press the power button to resume the computer from hibernation again.
Cause: This issue occurs because two threads try to fade out the monitor at the same time.
Workaround: For Windows 7 and for Windows Server 2008 R2
To work around this issue, log on and then log off the computer.
Hotfix download available for only for Windows 7 (x86).
Request for hotfix HERE. Or Download it here.